Software Engineer, Backend (Seattle)Posted on December 21st
Please note: You will be in a remote office. For this reason, we're only accepting senior-level candidates for this role.
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?
About the Role
We're looking for experienced backend software engineers to join our team.
- Design, code, and test across our distributed, open source database, CockroachDB. You bring your expertise to the table to help us build the best database for our users, partners, and customers.
- Collaborate with designers and engineers both in-house and in our open source community to design, implement, and integrate new features and tools into CockroachDB.
- Improve the performance of CockroachDB.
- Make sure that our products stay scalable, survivable, and consistent as we continue to grow as a company.
In your first 30 days, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After 3 months, you'll be integrated into the team. You will be comfortable contributing to CockroachDB's backend stack. You will begin to determine the parts of our product that most interest you and work with your manager to focus your efforts on projects that align with those areas and the product roadmap.
As our team grows, you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of development for CockroachDB. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using our product, and you play a crucial role in making CockroachDB a joy to use.
- A passion for working on complex technical products and have exposure to distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, file systems, or SQL processing.
- Comfort using programming languages like Go, C/C++, Java, and Python. We use Go on the server-side, but if you don't know it, you'll learn while you're here.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
You will have the opportunity to report to a member of our engineering leadership team based on the project you work on at Cockroach Labs.
Peter Mattis - Co-founder & Chief Technology Officer
Peter works on a bit of everything, from low-level optimization of code to refining the overall design. He was thrust into file systems early in his career at Inktomi and then learned the true meaning of scalability while working on Gmail and Colossus at Google. Before stepping into the office in the morning, he will have nursed his CrossFit addiction and dealt with the chaos of a three kid morning routine. You can set your watch by his daily departure at 4:30 pm to have dinner with his family.
Daniel Harrison - Member of Technical Staff in Seattle
At Google, Dan had the luxury of infrastructure that scales effortlessly. At Foursquare, he saw how much time is wasted when it doesn't. He joined Cockroach Labs to help bring that benefit to everyone. When his laptop's closed, you can find him reading trashy sci-fi/fantasy, running through the snow into a hot tub, or taking long walks in the city.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]