DevOps EngineerPosted on January 10th
Who We Are
Food52 is a fast-growing and award-winning kitchen and home brand. Through our unique contextual commerce approach, we give our community of over 13 million cooks and home enthusiasts everything they need to eat thoughtfully and live joyfully — from curated products to test-kitchen approved recipes.
Our product and engineering team consists of the product managers, designers, and engineers who build the systems that Food52 uses to produce amazing editorial content and a shopping experience that delights our users. Our team of software engineers works with our VP of Engineering as well as our product team to design and develop systems that run Food52.com. Our website is currently written in Ruby on Rails; on the client side we use React and are implementing Graph QL to integrate the two more seamlessly. We're always looking to innovate, try new things and find the most efficient means to run the platform with both custom and off-the-shelf products.
Food52 hopes to recruit and advance qualified minorities, women, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and veterans—we welcome and encourage all applicants. Our goal is for our team and culture to reflect the diversity of the global community of home cooks.
Who You Are
We're looking for a DevOps Engineer with 4+ years experience who can maintain, monitor, optimize, upgrade and secure our infrastructure. We're sharing that responsibility today but as we grow we'll need someone to guide us, set standards and promote best practices. We run on AWS so a deep understanding of the services we use (and those we could benefit from) on that platform is essential. In addition, you'll need to have a broad and deep knowledge of networking and be able to help us conform with standard practices in application configuration, firewalls, reverse proxies, tunneling, etc.
As much as you love the nuts and bolts of platform configuration, you have an eagerness to experiment while maintaining a strong aversion to risk. You are highly motivated to prevent problems but recognize them swiftly when they do happen. You maintain your professionalism and sense of humor at all times.
As our brand recognition and traffic grow, we'll need your help to ensure that our platform remains secure and impenetrable and that our disaster recovery plans are up to date and tested. You'll leverage your experience with platform partnerships to help keep our costs under control. You'll also help us maximize our productivity via improvements in our "anytime" deployment methodologies.
What You'll Do
- Perform general monitoring of platform infrastructure, including AWS resources and services.
- Ensure the security of our resources, including arranging for security scans and performing your own security tests against our infrastructure.
- Build out new service infrastructure as required, depending on a constantly evolving strategy.
- Build tools as required for use by internal teams to facilitate or streamline processes.
- Diagnose and solve internal and 3rd party integration problems involving networking, certificates, security, etc.
- Advise on application architecture decisions to promote scalability, security and reliability of new features and services.
- Update and maintain company documents relating to disaster recovery, architecture and security policies.
- Help with on-call coverage in the rare case of an infrastructure failure.
- Deliver on-time and communicate status, issues and concerns effectively throughout the lifecycle of a project.
- Collaborate with design, product and engineering team members thoughtfully and considerately.
- Help us assess and possibly implement an off-the-shelf e-commerce platforms like Shopify or BigCommerce, for example.
- 4+ years experience working in a DevOps role in a professional environment.
- Strong understanding of networking and common networking practices in a cloud hosted environment.
- Advanced *nix shell scripting experience.
- Solid background in web technologies, including a deep understanding of how a modern web application works end-to-end.
- Strong experience configuring and monitoring AWS services, at least IAM, EC2, S3, RDS, ES, Security policies and groups.
- Experience integrating with a CDN, and content caching strategies at the edge.
- Experience with Postgres or similar RDBMS.
- Strong familiarity with RUM, infrastructure and application monitoring tools: Cloudwatch, Datadog, Sentry, Airbrake or others.
- Ability to schedule, plan and organize multiple priorities and communicate appropriately about them.
- Nice to have: Experience with EngineYard.
- Experience with off-the shelf e-commerce platforms a plus.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefit options (including some that are free for you!), flexible spending account, and any-time access to professional mental health advice.
- Annual bonus plan.
- 401(k) retirement savings plan.
- Free life and AD&D insurance.
- No tracking of sick or vacation days (ask us about Summer Week & Winter Week!).
- Discounted gym memberships and a free Citibike membership
- Pre-tax commuter benefit plan.
- Flexible hours and working arrangements.
- So many snacks!
- An ever-flowing giveaway table, featuring kitchenware, cookbooks, Leftover Flower Fridays, and more.