Engineering ManagerPosted on February 13th
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?
About the Role
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to help our engineers create technically sophisticated and innovative, products and features, as well as grow their skills and make an impact. As one of our engineering managers, we want you to help build a productive work environment for our engineering team, ensuring that resources are balanced, and projects support our goals.
- Help engineers successfully navigate their day-to-day by providing them the resources they need, as well as access to individuals who can help them accomplish their goals at Cockroach Labs.
- Partner closely with our engineering and product leadership to set the engineering roadmap for CockroachDB and our future products.
- Collaborate with managers across teams to tackle people management challenges, but to also ensure the coordination of documentation, marketing, and product initiatives as we scale.
- Coach and provide direct feedback to your team to guide personal development and growth beyond just technical skills. Managing performance and making sure that our engineers are achieving their goals is essential to retaining a high performing team of engineers.
- Exemplify our core values of aim high and build to last, establish balance, be transparent about highs and lows, and respect. This is especially important as you begin to grow the team.
- Be excited to bring your technical understanding and product architecture knowledge to Cockroach Labs and learn more about databases
- Enjoy being involved in tech talks, community meetups, conferences, and hackathons and encourage your team to participate in events that interest them. Your engagement helps to strengthen our open-source community and increase our presence in the tech community.
In your first 30 days, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After 3 months, you will be fully integrated into the team and comfortable contributing to CockroachDB's backend stack. You will start taking on your first few direct reports once you have a solid grasp on our product roadmap and priority projects.
After 6 months, you’ll be up to managing a team of 6-8 engineers and starting to grow the team yourself. You will be making sure that each member of your team is working on projects that align with both our needs and their interests.
- A passion for building relationships and are responsible for the welfare of the engineering team you manage, including their professional development and growth. We're looking for managers that want to empower the team to achieve their professional and personal goals.
- Experience working on complex technical products and have exposure to distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, file systems, or SQL processing.
- Comfort using programming languages like Go, C/C++, Java, and Python. We use Go on the server side, but if you don't know it, you'll learn while you're here.
- A solid product architecture knowledge and grasp how a variety of teams interactions’ may impact it.
- Been exposed to performance management, understanding the importance of building an effective team that can function independently, while collaborating and supporting each other.
- Partnered across departments, ensuring coordination with internal teams (e.g., with Documentation; Marketing; Product).
Reporting to **Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering**
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, and search NYC for cannoli's with his wife and kids.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected].