UI Developer (Freelance)Posted on September 12th
Modern Tribe is looking for an experienced UI/Front End Developer to join our team as a freelance contractor.
You will enjoy unique challenges and build hybrid app systems or complex interactive UI’s alongside other Front End/Back End Developers that will require deep collaboration with your team. Performance optimization and testing will be a required skill set, and knowledge of the latest asset bundling systems with optimal performance configuration for them will be key. You will also implement designs accurately with progressive css/templating methods and work with the rest of the team to identify reusable code proactively, abstracting that to internal tools as applicable.
Modern Tribe believes in quality. In our products. In our relationships. In our lives. We are 100% distributed and close as can be.
Who We Are
Modern Tribe, Inc. is a rapidly growing software & design company. We develop custom solutions for some of the world’s largest companies, government institutions and smaller growing organizations. We pride ourselves on our ability to bridge people and technology and to bring the passion and dedication of an entrepreneur to every project. Our team is composed of talented employees and freelancers around North & South America (and a smattering across the globe).
Modern Tribe is committed to a culture that embraces diversity and inclusion. We foster an environment of collaboration, open engagement, fairness and respect regardless of differences in age, race, disability, national origin, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status. As a hybrid workspace ranging from distributed contractors to traditional employees, we value the unique perspectives and experiences of our global team.
We come from all walks of life. We are small business owners. We are tattoo aficionados and 80’s movie buffs and ex-pats. We are homeschool teachers. We are single parents. We are musicians, college drop-outs, and entrepreneurs. We are travelers, feminists, runners, volunteers, and makers. We are a Modern Tribe.
Everyday we strive to fulfill our motto: live well and do good work. We hope you will consider joining us.
Who You Are
We love working with each other because we have built a culture that suits us well. We work primarily with freelancers and coordinate their talents for large projects. To be on our team, you must be:
- Happy Where there is a will, there is a way. Having a positive disposition allows us to achieve great things and to support each other.
- Helpful Always looking for ways that you can help others.
- Curious It is essential that you have a passion for learning. Technology changes daily, and life has a way of constantly raising the bar.
- Accountable Our clients expect us to get the right thing done on budget and on time. Communicating expectations and meeting them is the cornerstone of success.
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working as part of a remote team
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented
- Strong organizational skills
- A methodical approach to all tasks
- Ability to prioritize workloads and meet deadlines
- Fluent English speaker
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience with React and/or React Native
- Proficiency at local environment setup for app development, docker
- Experience with REST APIs
- Experience with async operations at scale and modern practices to handle them
- Advanced experience with state management
- Solid understanding of various styling approaches for UI Development (CSS Modules, Styled Components etc)
- Unit, snapshot and integration testing
- Examples of plugins / code that you’ve released to the open source community
- Experience with WordPress
- Experience with GraphQL
- Native app development (android, ios)
- Architect Work to architect scalable and maintainable applications across a range of technologies.
- Collaborate Coordinate and communicate clearly and whenever needed with designers, back-end developers and other application devs
- SOLVE You will be presented with complex technical requirements and design robust solutions to fulfill them.
Work from anywhere and join our distributed team working across the globe. If your timezone is outside of US business hours, but you work at least 3-4+ hours of overlap each day, let’s chat. You should be fluent in English and just need a computer and a strong wifi signal to support daily video chats with the Tribe.
Pay range is commensurate with qualifications and experience between $40-$65/hour. We are currently looking for freelance contractors about 10-20 hours a week for this gig.
We believe that distributed working is a way of life. We understand what it means to work remotely. We offer consistency in expectations, payment, and support. We believe in learning from each other and fostering personal growth. You can expect to learn a lot while working with us.
(Also, if you work enough with us, we’ll bring you on the team trips.)
I may or may not be the suspected author of the Stuxnet virus. Anyhow, I now help to develop some of Modern Tribe’s many plugins – and help customers to use and love them, too.
Barry Hughes, Developer
Join the Tribe
BEFORE APPLYING, please read this gig listing carefully. So many people seem to apply without actually reading it. Once you’ve read the listing in full, you’re ready to rock.