Software Engineer, Web FrontendPosted on May 24th
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. In addition to the open source version of the DB, we offer CockroachCloud, a self-service, fully managed cloud offering of CockroachDB for anyone who needs to scale fast, survive anything, and thrive everywhere. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications.
About the Role
At Cockroach Labs, we strive to deliver delightful and intuitive user experiences to our customers. Creating such experiences that make data easy and painless is critical to our mission. We are looking for frontend software engineers to make these critical contributions to CockroachDB and CockroachCloud, create user interfaces that give users effortless observability into their database, and improve our frontend infrastructure and tooling.
In this role, you bring your expertise and commitment to excellence to collaborate with other engineers, SREs, and our product and design teams, as we work together to give developers a platform for their data. You will also have the opportunity to make a significant impact by helping establish the culture and practices for frontend engineering at Cockroach Labs.
- Build and deploy elegant solutions to complex UI challenges that our customers face when provisioning and managing their databases in CockroachCloud and operating large CockroachDB clusters on-premise.
- Contribute to the growth of CockroachCloud by designing, building, and testing compelling systems with a focus on the frontend.
- Make CockroachDB highly observable by transforming large and complex sets of data into sophisticated visualizations that give developers the insights they need to diagnose issues and monitor performance.
- Develop in React/TypeScript on the client side and Go on the server side, but if you don't know them you'll learn while you're here.
- Collaborate with Product, Design, and Engineering to create strategic customer value.
- Evolve our design system and frontend enablement processes to facilitate collaboration between engineering, design, marketing, and other stakeholders.
In the first month you will join your engineering team and start to learn about our production systems, software development workflow, and the architecture of CockroachDB and CockroachCloud. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology, company, and our culture..
After 3 months you'll be a fully-fledged member of your team and comfortable contributing to CockroachCloud and CockroachDB. You will begin to determine the parts of our product that most interest you and work with your manager to focus your efforts on projects that align with those areas and our goals.
As our team grows you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of development for CockroachCloud and CockroachDB. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using our product and you play a crucial role in making CockroachCloud a joy to use. We also offer technical training and experienced mentorship to help you learn and grow into whatever you wish it to be.
- A passion for building beautiful, intuitive, and responsive user experiences that help people succeed at their jobs.
- Experience implementing user interfaces with tools like React, Redux, Vue.js, or Angular.
- An understanding of how to build cross-browser compatible experiences with seamless design patterns for complex UIs.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- 5+ years of relevant experience (preferred).
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Peter Mattis - Co-founder & Chief Technology Officer
Peter works on a bit of everything, from low-level optimization of code to refining the overall design. He was thrust into file systems early in his career at Inktomi and then learned the true meaning of scalability while working on Gmail and Colossus at Google. Before beginning his work day, he will have nursed his CrossFit addiction and dealt with the chaos of a three kid morning routine. You can set your watch by his daily departure at 4:30 pm to have dinner with his family.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, and search NYC for cannoli's with his wife and kids
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]